9 People Talk About The Times They Were At Their Most Brave

9 People Talk About The Times They Were At Their Most Brave

We’d all like to think that we’d step up to the plate. Would we, though? These nine people certainly did.

1. “When I was 21, I woke up one morning to a girl screaming and banging on my door. I opened my door and saw a girl about 17 years old, she was begging me to help her and as she turned away from me I noticed that her shirt was ripped down the back and there was a huge streak of blood across her back but it wasn’t her own. I didn’t even really think about it, she was so young I had to help her. I stepped out of my apartment and as I followed her my next door neighbor came out of his apartment holding a butcher knife that was dripping with blood.

He stopped and stared at the two of us for a minute before he ran down the porch and out to his car.As he drove off I continued to follow her into the apartment he’d just come out of. Once I got to the door I saw her boyfriend laying on a pullout couch. He wasn’t just covered in blood, he’d been stabbed so many times that blood was pouring out of his body. He had just enough energy to sit up, reach towards me and ask for help.Within seconds he fell back onto the bed and I just knew he was already gone.

She was at his side screaming and crying.I grabbed her and tried to explain it wasn’t safe to wait in the apartment. At first she wouldn’t leave him, she kept telling me that we had to do something to save him. I knew he was gone but the only way I could get her out of there was to tell her, he was going to be okay but we had to get an ambulance.Only one other neighbor in the entire complex actually tried to help, he called the police but everyone else just gathered in a circle and watched. Once I got her to leave with me, I locked us in my apartment and tried to calm her down.I never really thought it was brave to help and not run back into my apartment and lock the door until I realized how many people just stood around staring at what was going on with no intention of helping.”

2. “I guess it was back in 1974. I found out my cancer (lymphatic) had reoccurred and that I was pregnant the same week. The doctors recommended that I abort my son , as, in their opinion, I would not make it to term without chemotherapy. I made the decision to keep the child, against their advice and my husband’s protests. I made it, and my son, Brian, was born. I was only allowed to nurse him for two weeks, and then they started chemo. The first few months were difficult.


Because of the chemo, I was not allowed to hold him for more than a few minutes at a time (radioactivity). He grew up to be an Air Force Explosive Ordinance Disposal (bomb) Staff Sargent in the Air Force and died in 2014. He chose to be a bomb specialist, as that profession saves lives, unlike most other military professions. He was a joy, very adventurous, traveled all over the world. I think I made the right decision.”

3. “In December 2016, I left the hospital with my two-week-old daughter, Lamees and boarded a 17-hour flight, knowing that she might die in my arms. I was terrified, but I had vowed to sit quietly and not say a word until we landed, even if that meant holding her as she grew cold. I had approximately 24 hours to get her to safety, our journey would take exactly 22 hours. There was no room for error. She was born with a heart condition called Hypoplastic left heart syndrome, unfortunately her two missing fingers and small size meant that our hospital decided against surgery. Nothing I did or said would change their mind, they sent her home to die. So I organized her passport and booked her flight.

I had no idea whether the surgeon at the other end would operate but I had no more time to wait. She was already beginning to show signs of distress. The general consensus, as of the time we took out, was that she had around 24 hours. We arrived at the airport 10 minutes before check-in closed. The flight had been overbooked – luckily several passengers had not showed up and a kind staff member told them I had already checked in online (I hadn’t). I sat on the flight with a blanket covering me while I pretended to breastfeed and removed the cap on the syringe containing the medicine my baby needed (which wasn’t allowed).

The surgeon came in on his day off to meet us when he heard that I had arrived. He was absolutely amazed, and kept saying how much he admired my bravery and determination. I believe this is one of the reasons he decided to do such a difficult surgery, he put his heart and soul into it. He didn’t want to let me down. My baby gave up her fight 4 days later, but I am at peace knowing that I gave her a chance even though it was the most afraid I’ve ever been in my life. I was terrified, but I did it anyway. Love makes you do things you never thought you could. Love makes you brave.”


9 People Talk About The Times They Were At Their Most Brave

Share On Facebook